Linux Game Developer
Linux Game Developer is a section hosted by Piga Software that attempts to help aspiring developers to create free software games for the GNU/Linux platform. This site is aiming to host tutorials, multimedia resources, and provide links to the best and easiest game creation tools in the world of GNU/Linux development.
- Wikimedia Commons
- Public Domain Content
- FreeGameDev (Resources List)
- Game Maker Forum Resources (check licensing for each)
- YoYo Games Resourcse
- Reiner's Tilesets
- Public domain 3D models
- Molotov.nu (Partial Backup)
- The People's Domain
- Free Game Arts
- G.M. Spectre Open Source Sprite Sheets
- Open Icon Library
- Game-icons.net (Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported)
- AccuStudio Textures
- Free Texture Site
- Photos Public Domain
- TRaK Textures
- Ben Cloward's Texture Archive (public domain)
- Martin's Reference Photos (public domain, GNU General Public License 2.0)
- Burning Well images (public domain)
- The Freesound Project (Creative Commons licenses)
- Absolute Sound Effects Archive
- A1 Free Sound Effects
- LibriVox spoken audio
- Lynne Music (freely re-distributable under certain conditions, semi-free!)
- ccMixter (Creative Commons licenses)
- Incompetech Incompetech (Creative Commons - Attribution 3.0 Unported)
- Jamendo (Creative Commons licenses)
- opsound (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike, public domain)
- Mutopia (Creative Commons licenses)
- Free Music Archive (Creative Commons licenses)
- Nosopradio (Creative Commons - Attribution 3.0 Unported)
- FreePD.com (public domain)
- Public Domain Information Project (public domain)
- Open Music Archive (public domain)
- Musopen (public domain)
- Gambas Documentation
- FreeBASIC Support
- pygame Documentation
- pygame Tutorials
- Game Editor Documentation
- G-Creator Documentation
- Novashell Documentation
- Novashell Scripting Reference
- "Gambas Examples"
- Gambas OpenGL examples
- comisat Games Collection (Gambas)
- "Bounce" (Gambas)
- Gambas Basic Games
Tools and Utilities
- Gambas is a powerful easy-to-use free software BASIC language (inspired by Visual Basic) perfect to build your game with.
- FreeBASIC is another, more CLI-oriented, BASIC dialect created by the QBasic community. Many games made with it already exist.
- pygame is a popular set of libraries for the Python scripting language extending and simplifying game development.
- Game Editor is a free software/commercial point-and-click game creator that can run on GNU/Linux systems.
- MegaZeux is the free software descendant of the cult classic ZZT game creator/interpreter. Some games can be found here.
- Novashell is a free software game creation system.
- Adventure Game Studio is a popular and now free software tool for the creation of SCUMM-type graphic adventure games.
- Simple DirectMedia Layer is a widely used free software multimedia rendering library (comparable to DirectX on Microsoft Windows).
- Mesa 3D is a widely used free software OpenGL implementation (comparable to Direct3D on Microsoft Windows)), allowing for hardware accelerated graphics rendering (most commonly 3D).
- QT is a widely used free software toolkit, allowing for powerful graphical user interface rendering.
- GTK is another widely used free software toolkit, allowing for powerful graphical user interface rendering.
- Physics Abstraction Layer is a free software cross-platform physical simulation API abstraction system.
- ioquake3 is a powerful free software 3D engine based on the engine from Quake III Arena (id Tech 3). GtkRadiant is a favourite tool.
- DarkPlaces is a powerful highly modified free software version of the 3D engine used in Quake; also GtkRadiant compatible.
- Cube/Sauerbraten are free software 3D engines. Can also be used through Sandbox 3D Game Creator.
- Irrlicht is free software 3D engine known aiming for ease of use and wide hardware compatibility.
- OGRE is a scene-oriented, real-time, flexible 3D rendering engine.
- Crystal Space is a framework for developing 3D applications typically used as a game engine but can be used for any kind of 3D visualization.
- Cafu Engine is built with a modular architecture so as to avoid program constructs and libraries that are specific to any given platform.
- Godot is a recently free software game engine aiming to provide similar ease as Unity.
- Stratagus is a powerful free software real time strategy game engine inspired by Warcraft II.
- Spring is a free software game engine for 3D real-time strategy games supporting Lua scripting.
- Ren'Py is a popular free software game engine designed for the creation of visual novels.
- Our own Gambas engines may be edited and used under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3.
- GNU Image Manipulation Program is a powerful free software raster graphics editor.
- KolourPaint is a easy-to-use free software raster graphics editor.
- MyPaint is an extensive free software program for painting and editing.
- Inkscape is a powerful free software vector graphics editor.
- Synfig is a free software vector animation tool with tweening.
- Audacity is a powerful free software digital audio editor.
- Rosegarden is a free software MIDI composer.
- Blender is a powerful free software 3D modeller and animator.
- Misfit Model 3D is a capable lightweight 3D modelling tool.
- Kdenlive is functional free software video editing software.
- OpenShot is a usable free software video editor.
- Dia a program designed to make diagrams, charts and maps.
Made a game for another system, and want to give it GNU/Linux support without porting it?
- DOSBox is a free software emulator for MSDOS programs.
- Wine is a free software compatibility layer for Microsoft Windows programs, allowing you to run them on top of GNU/Linux.
Note: in general we recommend a native port as they run better than emulation-based solutions.